The FDL1 is a specialised high speed digital datalogger with unique characteristics which surpass all common dataloggers used within the renewable energy industry. The FDL1 is designed for fully remote operations with data automatically uploaded to Fulcrum3D’s servers for client access via the web.
The sampling frequencies of the FDL1 can be set as high as several hundred samples per second, with all parameters statistically aggregated to meet user requirements. Often this means 10 minute time series are provided, however the system also allows raw data time series of the individual samples allowing detailed investigation of high speed events such as:
- impact of cloud onset on irradiance measurements or solar power output
- assessment of scalar vs vector averaging of wind vectors
- Eddy Flux covariance measurements
In addition, its high on-board storage and constant data download means very high data volumes can be managed, including:
- high sampling rate / high resolution photography
- sound recordings
- high sampling rate time series from multiple measurement instruments
All measurement parameters are time-stamped to internet time protocol, eliminating time-clock drift. This allows strong correlation between instruments connected to different dataloggers and avoids the need for ongoing time-clock adjustments.
The FDL1 system is designed to be fully portable and operated remotely:
- communication via NextG/3G/GSM or satellite means data is retrieved automatically and uploaded onto Fulcrum3D’s secure servers at the end of each aggregation period
- continuous remote interrogation to ensure correct operation
- integrated solar power supply providing non-stop power with in excess of 7 days energy storage to cover cloudy periods
- includes a GPS receiver, acting both as a security device (protecting against theft) and also confirming exact installation locations
- radiation shielded IP68 enclosure to survive in the harshest environments.
What this means is that you can access data, ensure correct operations, and even determine how much valid data is available without leaving the office. This can save a significant amount of time, resources and cost by identifying issues early so that data collection does not delay documentation.
The FDL1 datalogger platform allow connection of a variety of sensors for almost any monitoring application.
Fulcrum3D has integrated the FDL1 into its noise monitoring and solar monitoring systems. However, the FDL1 can be integrated into any remote monitoring requirement and is suitable for both met mast or stand-alone monitoring.
A wide variety of sensors can be integrated allowing detailed site investigations, including:
- wind speed and direction (anemometers, wind vanes)
- high speed wind monitoring using ultrasonics (2D & 3D) including comparing vector and scalar averaging
- solar irradiance measurements including high speed rate of change detection
- rain measurements (both accumulation and rate)
- temperature, pressure and humidity
- noise monitoring
- sound recording
- bat monitoring (e.g. using Anabat detectors)
- digital camera systems (including CloudCam)
In each case, instruments of various designs and classes can be supplied with or without calibration certificates.
The FDL1 is supplied with standard mounting brackets and can also be installed using a purpose designed tripod arrangement.